The Hollywood first opened its doors in 1926 as a silent film theater. The 1948 renovation incorporated the two storefronts attached to the theater in order to expand the lobby. The auditorium was also expanded and updated to an Art Deco style and plans show the seating capacity at this time to be 938.
Sadly, the theater went dark in 2008. It was opened again in 2009 but closed the following year. In 2011 a community group organized by Dormont resident John Maggio and other community members, with the support of Pennsylvania State Senator Wayne Fontana, rallied to reopen the theatre. The Hollywood remained in operation hosting events when it was purchased by the nonprofit Theatre Historical Society of America (THS) in early 2018. THS aims to continue operating the theater as a community resource by showing movies, hosting programs and community events.